Tuesday, June 11, 2013

When Did We Become Adults?

 
 
 
One generation will commend Your works to another; they will tell of Your mighty acts.  They will speak of the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and I will meditate on Your wonderful works.  They will tell of the power of Your awesome works, and I will proclaim Your great deeds.  They will celebrate Your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of Your righteousness.

Psalm 145:4-7, NIV ‘84

 A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend the high school graduation of my oldest nephew, Michael.  Michael has always held a special place in my heart, for not only is he the first born grandson of the William P. Harrell family, but he was and is the first born member of the next generation of our family.  We’ve always had somewhat of a special connection to one another and simply love family gatherings and the opportunities that we have had over the past 18 years to laugh, giggle, play, and talk (and I mean really talk…for 2-3 hours at a time).  Now don’t get me wrong…I love all of my nieces and nephews and have a developed solid unique relationships with each of them; even going so far as to deem myself as the ‘favorite auntie’ in their lives (and believe me…there is a story behind that statement).

The graduation ceremony was to take place Friday night at 8:00p on the football field of Michael’s high school; and needless to say, I took the entire day (and weekend) off to celebrate this special occasion.  With a three hour drive ahead of me, I had a lot of time to think about our relationship, how we had built lasting memories around many a pleasant and not so pleasant events of our family, and about the glorious future that lie ahead for this special young man.  In fact, the more I thought about these topics and others, I had to force myself to hold back the tears.  And then it hit me…you know, the question we all ask ourselves:  When did he grow up?  Or where did the time go?  I mean, I remember the day he was born, the day his parents were married, and the day I had to beat up a little boy on the way home from school for running over my sister’s ankle with a bicycle tire.  Oh yeah…I went way back.

Needless to say, not only did I revert back to some familiar events surrounding my early childhood and teen years, but I had the audacity to quickly view the lives of my other nieces and nephews only to be shocked by my discoveries.  So let me take a few moments of your time to tell you what I recently learned:

·         4 years ago, we buried my Daddy (which was the most traumatic event that had ever happened in the history of our family and the event that has forever altered the lives of each one of us)

·         20 years ago, I sat in an office dreaming about my ministerial future, how I could make a difference in the lives of other believers, and made plans to live my life in such a way as to draw others into the kingdom of God

·         25 years ago, I heard the call of God on my life and wrote a play which would eventually be used to teach others how to use the armor of God (another BLOG, for another day)

·         30 years ago, I was finishing up my Secretarial Science/Business Administration Degree and seeking to ‘make it big’ in the corporate world

·         35 years ago, I was a sophomore in high school dreaming of the day I could be released from ‘prison’ and make my own life changing decisions

·         40 years ago, I was entering junior high school dreaming of being asked out by the cutest 12 year old athlete on the planet

·         45 years ago, I was in kindergarten sitting in the middle of a sandbox crying at the end of a school day because I thought I would not return to school the next day (really???)

·         50 years ago, I was just a thought in the mind of my parents…man how time flies by when you’re having fun!

You know, I had a conversation with a couple of my sisters about this very topic a few weeks ago and posed the following question to them:   “When did we become the adults and the leaders of this country?”  Wasn’t it just yesterday we were living under our parents’ roofs trying our best to become free agents of society, hallucinating about running the country, and charting new courses of adventure?  Or was that just a mere dream?  Yeah…time truly has flown by…so much so that my HS friends and I (and those from my generation) are currently receiving AARP documentation via USPS (WTW?)

So that’s what I discovered about my life…but what about the generation that follows behind me…you know, my nieces and nephews?  Currently the ages of the members of the WPHarrell legacy are as follows:  Male (age 18), Female (age 16) Male (age 12), Female (age 6), Male (age 6), and Male (age 9 months); and this is what lies ahead of this family (and others in the world) over the course of the next 20 years:
 
·         In 5 years, our family will have one college graduate (age 23), one college sophomore/junior (age 21), one HS senior (age 17), two rising sixth graders (ages 11) and one kindergartner

·         In 10 years, our family will have two college graduates (ages 28 and 26), one college senior (age 22), two HS juniors, and one rising fifth grader

·         In 15 years, the ages of the next generation in our family will be 33, 31, 27, 21, and 15 (is your head spinning like mine is right now?)

·         In 20 years, the ages of the next generation in our family will be 38, 36, 32, 26, and 20 (going on 21)…what in the world!?!

 Basically what I am saying is this:  within the next 20 years of life, those who are under the age of 18 will be running our country, building our cities, developing new companies, and caring for those of us (the elderly) who have gone on before them.  What type of legacy will we leave for them to follow?  What type of an environment will we live in when they become the adults?  Are we currently doing everything in our power to prepare them to be great men and women of God who spur others on toward greatness in all areas of our lives? I hope so…

As stated before, time surely does fly by…quicker than we may expect and what we must understand is this:  only that which is done for the kingdom of God will last.  Each member of the human race has been given a limited amount of time to live for His glory and encourage others to do the same.  What are you doing with the time that you have been given?  Are you living only to please yourself, or are you walking in love and forgiving others?

You know, it is my personal belief that as adults, it is our responsibility to leave a legacy for the next generation that gives them the tools necessary to promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the generation that follows them.  This legacy should include:

v  A proclamation of the goodness of God.
v  A testimony of the holiness and supremacy of God.
v  A declaration of the power of God.

It is our responsibility to walk in a manner worthy of the calling that we have received.  That “calling” is simply to proclaim the goodness of God to the next generation, for when God’s goodness is proclaimed, we will see a change in the next generation and in the generation in which we currently live.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment